Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Easter Break: Cardiff - March 23-26, 2013


For some odd reason, the english universities get a whole month off for easter break. It is probably so that the regular students can write their thesis' and do final projects, but i find it a little ridiculous. But, since i had a month, i decided to take advantage of it and see as much as i could. The first place I went to was Cardiff in Wales!

When i was leaving Nottingham that morning, it was snowing. Wet, freezing snow. I was happy that as my train went further SW, the snow gradually disappeared until there was nothing at all. The first evening in Cardiff, I just walked around to get my bearings. The castle was literally down the street from my hostel, as were many of the main buildings. I also walked through the shopping area and browsed, as you do. I found a smaller museum in the city centre that was free and told the story of Cardiff, so i spent a decent amount of time there. The story of Cardiff is very interesting. As things close rather early in the UK, I went back to the hostel to make use of the wifi before going to bed. On the second day, I did the thing I was most excited for. I took a river boat down to Cardiff Bay and did the Doctor Who Experience. It was amazing and I recommend it to all Doctor Who fans. Afterwards, I returned to the city centre on the boat and got some lunch. I then went to the Natural History Museum and spent a good 3 hours in there. Lots of interesting things and also, free :). 

The next day i slept in, as i was meeting someone and hadn't been getting much sleep due to horrendous snorers. I went to the mall for a bit to waste time. When the person arrived (some one from my later contiki trip), we went to Cardiff Castle, which took several hours. It was so beautiful and rich looking and full of history. Within its grounds there was a Norman keep as well as a bunch of really cool birds. We found a Wok fastfood place afterwards and I was so happy cause it was just like Edo and good asian food is so hard to come by here. The next day, we took a long walk to a cathedral that had been bombed during WWII and also had a very expensive painting done by a pre-raphaelite artist. There were also some ruins near the cathedral that were used as a memorial site. After we walked back, we went down to the Bay by boat again and looked through the museums and buildings there. I stumbled upon a RIP Ianto wall on the docks, which made my Torchwood Fangirl heart incredibly happy. After that, we picked up our bags and caught the train to our next destination.




No comments:

Post a Comment